Sunday, July 18, 2010

CONNECTIVISM

My network changed tremendously in 2004 when I enrolled at Walden University. I was immediately connected with colleagues, instructors, my mentor, and experts in education. My lens became very wide in an instant and it continues to grow today. This occurred on courses, KAM work, my dissertation and elsewhere. The use of the online librarians’ services and the writing center staff were a wealth of knowledge and support. The way I learn now is faster, and more efficient. I work and learn more in collaboration with others than ever before. Another huge change was that others around the globe were instantly at my fingertips for help and support. I have met and worked with others that would not have been possible before. My thinking has become more analytical and I rely more on empirical research. When I have questions, I either search answers myself or contact others with knowledge and interest in the area of the question. I often looked to my colleagues and mentor for resources and opinions. Opportunities for learning now abound unlike ever in the past. I still enjoy hard copy journals and books to learn from but also rely much on technological tools. I frequently use blogs, Skype, Wiki spaces, Google docs, data bases, and other digital means of communicating and collaborating with others. Digital tools speed up my learning process and motivate me.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new blog! Yes, connectivism is an interesting approach to network science. I understand that in the developing brain of a child there are initially many, many connections and then the number reduces to those that are actually used. That seems to be how it is in online networking also. It is as if we are trying to emerge a global brain. Let's hope it is a healthy one. :-) Bruce Neubauer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Wenzel

    I agree that attending Walden University has also brought my abilities and thinking to a whole new level. I like the way you stated how your thinking has become more analytical and that you rely more on empirical research. In your mindmap, I like the way you illustrated how each network category is not separate, but a combination of different resources that can be used to enhance your social, scholarly, and professional learning. Your mindmap shows a good example of how “a network can simply be defined as connections between entities (Siemens, 2004). Kop and Hill (2008) also explain that “knowledge does not reside in one location, but rather that it is a convergence of information arising out of multiple individuals seeking inquiry related to a common interest and providing feedback to one another” (p. 4). Everyday we share information with others, receive feedback, and together we learn and accomplish great things. Great post!

    Kop, R., & Hill, A. (2008). Connectivism: Learning theory of the future or vestige of the past? International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 9(3), 1–13.

    Siemens, G. (2004). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. Retrieved from http://elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandy,

    You make some great points about you learning network. I believe that more teachers need to get involved in one to improve their abilities to teach and to learn. Walden helped me get started building those connections, but I have been able to gather a tremendous amount outside of the University as well through colleagues met at conferences and on social networks.

    George

    ReplyDelete